The Great Seal of Cecil County
Cecil County was created in 1674 from Baltimore and Kent counties by proclamation of the Governor. The County was named for Cecil Calvert, Second Lord Baltimore, founder of the Maryland colony.
Cecil County is bordered by the State of Delaware on the east, and the State of Pennsylvania on the north. Visited by Captain John Smith in 1608, Cecil is Maryland's northeastern-most county, and the tenth to be established.
The seal of Cecil County was adopted by the Board of County Commissioners on June 11, 1968. The seal consists of a river scene which will reflect the water itself, together with a scene of the sky. On the sky is a male mallard duck in flight, and underneath the male duck is a female mallard duck, also in flight. To the left of the heads of the ducks in flight is a cluster of cattails and reeds.
Copyright © John T. Marck. All Rights Reserved. This article and their accompanying seals, may not be resold, reprinted, or redistributed for compensation of any kind without prior written permission from the author. Maryland County Seals and Baltimore City Seal and their respective origin histories from: Maryland The Seventh State A History, © John T. Marck. All Rights Reserved. All Seals courtesy of the respective county, Office of the County Executive and/or the Department of Tourism. Reprinted with permission.